Replace, Rather Than Repair
- When technology is outdated, it is best to replace them.
- If the parts affected are expensive or cannot be easily located, it is best if they are replaced.
- When safety is in question, they may be replaced
- If repair services are very expensive, it is not worth repairing
- If energy consumption is high, it is best to replace it and get a new product.
- Complex appliances, increasing income, high living standards are making people buy new products instead of repairing them.
Repair Rather Than Replace
- If the appliance is an expensive one, it is best to repair them, so that it will continue to work for a longer period
- If there is a safety concern, the repair should be done immediately
- If you have a reliable repair company nearby, priority should be given to repairing the appliance.
- If it is cheaper to repair the appliance, it is best to repair it.
- When you consider environmental issues, it is best to repair the product rather than sell it.
Problems that usually occur:
- Minor Problems that can be Fixed:
- Serious Problems that Cannot Be Fixed
- It may a replacement or repair of the item
- It may be an exchange or refund.
Common Appliances and Life Expectancy
- Refrigerators work 24/7 and their lifespan is generally shorter than most other appliances. But they can easily run for 5 to 9 years without repair. Even if there is any problem, it is worth repairing them. They are usually built-in refrigerators, side-by-side refrigerators, or bottom and/or top freezer models.
- Stoves work for about 10 years without a problem. A gas range has more life expectancy than an electric one. Usually, they can be repaired if there is a slight fault in it.
- Dishwashers last for around 10 to 12 years. Sometimes small repair work such as dishes not properly cleaned can be rectified. But if there is an electric issue, it has to be replaced.
- Washing machines can last for about 10 to 13 years. Leaking water and stuck-up movements can be easily repaired. But the cost of the repair should be considered. Sometimes, it is worth replacing the machine instead of repairing it.
Warranty and Servicing
Products usually come with written warranties when making the purchase. It may be a refrigeration repair, washing machine repair, dishwasher repair, or any other appliance repair problem. If there is a warranty, you can get the problem sorted using the warranty provided, on the purchase of the product.
- Check the warranty, the expiry date, and the warranty conditions.
- Check to see if the manufacturer or the seller will be providing service related to the warranty.
- Take the product immediately for repair so that it falls within the expiry period and does not undergo further problems.
- Check if the warranty will provide repair, change of parts, and/or labor charges.
- Check the conditions and limitations, if any, on the warranty card.
- You have a right to get service done by experienced and skilled technicians with reasonable care so that the fault does not occur again or no other problem occurs.
- If you have explained the work required and it is accepted by the service provider, they have to make sure that you get the desired service.
- The services should be provided within a time frame or within a reasonable time.
- The service provided should be at a reasonable price if the price is not agreed upon beforehand.
- You can resolve the problem with a call, an email, or a visit to the company. Keep the relevant documents and evidence papers safe such as receipt of purchase, credit card statement, and warranty.
Appliance Repair Near Me
Sometimes it is best to choose an appliance repair service near you. Though there is no formal education for repair work, apprenticeship should be completed with experienced technicians. They should have been employed with on-the-job training. There are many technician courses available in electronics for such services. Choose such appliance services nearby if:
- If the warranty service by the company is located at a distant place
- For effective and immediate service
- If you have a reliable service provider who provides fast and economic service
- The warranty period or the service contract is over
- It is best to get the appliance repaired as early as possible. Too much idle time will cause it to rust or decay due to non-usage.
Common Appliances Faults That Require Servicing
When the appliance is a costly one, you will like it repaired instead of throwing or replacing it.
- Refrigerators and Freezers: Though it is a safe appliance, it has complex machine parts. They may cause electrical shocks and electrocution, pinched hands and fingers, and chemical injuries. Get it serviced.
- Microwave: This is a handy device that helps to heat your food. If the inside light is not working or there is a jammed door or the plate does not rotate, you can get it repaired by a professional.
- Space Heaters: Space heaters are generally powered by propane or kerosene which may lead to poisoning through carbon monoxide. They may also cause fatal fires in the house. Do not allow it to such levels.
- Toasters and Ovens: Defective timers may be a cause of a serious fire hazard and/or burns due to unsafe gas accumulation or malfunctioning or if the door does not close, you can get it repaired if it is not a serious one.
- Coffee Maker: if it is an expensive one like an espresso machine, you can get a professional to look into it.
- Ceiling Fans: Improper installation or defects may cause a crash. Defective wiring may cause fire or electrocution, get it serviced.
Small Appliance Repair Services
Small appliances found in any household are countless. As they make work easier, most households have them. Having a microwave, food blender, cordless vacuum, electric iron, coffee grinder, electric shaver, food mixer, food slicer, food processor, garbage disposer, juicer, hair clipper, etc., has become the norm in an ordinary household.
- If the appliance fails to work, you should check to see if it can be repaired by yourself. If it is a small screw or bolt or plug that is the cause of the problem, you can fix it yourself.
- Check if the power is available to the appliance.
- Check the appliance manual. Many troubleshooting charts will be available in the manual.
- Check with the customer service department from the manufacturer.
- If there is a puddle of water coming from under the refrigerator, you can enquire and choose a good repair company to service your product.
- If the door has to be fixed on your appliance or there if there is a minor malfunction, repair it.
- If the appliance requires a quick fix, you can get it repaired for immediate use.
- If there is any part to be replaced, seek the help of a technician
- Procrastination on getting the product repaired may end up becoming costlier.
Seeking Appliance Repair Service
- You can choose an appliance service provider through referrals or call expert services or check online sites for reviews.
- Choose a suitable person who provides immediate services. You can seek services from a local company too.
- Pay for the service only after the work is done. Pay by credit card as it becomes a piece of evidence.
- Ensure that the work is guaranteed.
- When complaints like high prices, bad service, and long duration of service are made about particular service, you should avoid such service providers.
Appliance Repair Price Guide
It is best to evaluate the cost of repairing the appliance first because you can compare it with the cost of replacing it. If it is cost-effective, you can get it repaired.
Average Estimate: Generally appliance repair costs around $175. They range between $50 and $500. Ensure that the cost of repairing includes or excludes labor charge, and parts replaced.
Hourly Rates: Technicians generally charge about $50 to $125 per hour for repair work and may include minimum service fee.
- Refrigerator and Freezer: Built-in Refrigerators can be easily repaired than replaced. The average cost of repairing may range between #230 and #300. Replaceable parts may cost between $20 and #200. Evaporator fan motors in freezers cost between #200 and #250.
- Washing Machine: Repairs cost around $130 to $250 depending on the service required. Trivial repairs may cost between $50 and $100, such as belt replacement.
- Oven: Usually the gasket, heating elements, and the door may get damaged. But if the repair work is more severe it may cost around $100 to $200.
- Dishwasher: Dishwasher repair may cost around $150. Food disposals may cost around $160 for repairs.
Usually, a minimum service fee may be charged for calling the technician. So make a check on your appliance before calling in a repair technician. Confirm to see if it is an ordinary problem that can be rectified, but if it involves welds and rivets, you should call a technician. Broken parts and malfunctioning parts in an appliance can be fixed easily and inexpensively by the technician. If there is a service guarantee, the guarantee may include spare parts cost and labor. Sometimes it would cover only the parts replaced.
As it is a world driven by appliances of various forms, there are chances that product repairs may occur frequently. If you have decided to repair your unit, you can ask the manufacturer and seek the network for referrals. You can do an internet search for technicians that have a high review in your area. Repair costs will include the labor cost, parts to be changed and additional parts included.
Our professional and certified professionals who provide such repair services will help you in deciding whether the appliance is worth fixing or if a replacement is the best way to go. We have a long list of success stories where the appliances have been revived and saved the client a couple of hundred dollars. All our professionals also undergo period upskilling to make sure that your appliances, no matter how hi-tech it is, are always fixable. As a rule of thumb, ensure that the cost of repair is lesser than the replacement before calling a repair technician.
In case you would like to avail of our services please proceed to get in touch with our team of experienced appliance repair services to fix your appliances, so that an initial examination of the appliance is made.